Tuesday, September 16, 2008

when you are lied to

Have you ever been lied to? Not just a lie of omission, but a great big whopping truth bender? It stings, doesn't it? I know it would seem like I am going off on another anti Wal-mart rant here, but only partly. I have been lied to recently, and by someone I had truly believed in. I am a firm believer in the adage, "everyone lies about something" even if it's those dreaded white lie rationalities to make you seem like less of an asshole to yourself. I myself am working on cutting back. If I think that the answer I am going to give is going to be less than helpful, I try not to say anything. But that is still a lie of omission, isn't it? I guess you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. The case in point is my father-in-law. He died a few weeks ago, and I am still grappling with how I feel about it. There was a time when he was very special to me, a father figure, when mine was sorely lacking. That changed, however, when he kept the knowledge of his son's infidelity from me. I know, I know, it was his son, and I was just the woman married to him. But, so many times he told me that I was the daughter that he and his wife never had. I guess that makes my husband's partner in adultery the lying whore that he never had, either. To circle this back around to Wal-mart isn't much of a stretch, now. I was talking to someone yesterday who had been lied to by this particular company for over a year and a half. My first question to him was,are you stupid? (I'm famous for my sensitivity, by the way) No one takes 18 months to give you an answer. Especially not a company with their famous sun down rule. For those of you lucky enough not to be steeped in Wal-mart culture(or b.s. as the case may be) the sun down rule states simply that Wal-mart will have an answer or fix the problem by sundown. Not 534 sundowns. So anyway, here he is getting yanked along waiting for his co-manager to finally live up to her word. I'll keep you posted, but it still hasn't happened yet. I hate liars. If you are going to waste my time with a lie, just save it. Use the time to figure out why you have a problem telling the truth in the first place. You'll thank me later.

No comments: