Friday, September 19, 2008

That lady justice chick is full of crap

Had an interesting conversation today. I got to spend over an hour with an attorney who thinks he has an honorable profession. In the words of my niece,"whatever." I don't understand how you can justify the big picture to yourself everyday and still get up and do it all over again. This particular attorney had defended someone who was innocent. He knew it. She knew it. She had even taken one of those voice modulator lie detectors that measure the timbre of your voice, and can calculate, with accuracy, if you are telling the truth. She passed it with flying colors. But he still talked her into pleading guilty to something she did not do because it was more cost effective. Another interesting tidbit. The husband of the accused had been tampering with odometers for many years. Some of the odometers that he finagled just happened to be the lease cars of assorted Judges and people of note. When the lady in question brought this information up to her attorney, he plainly told her:"If you bring up one word of this, I will ask to be reclused from the case. I have to work in this area, all of the judges in these counties are friends ,and it would be professional suicide for me to do that." And with one final wave at his oath and ethics, he advised her to plead guilty. The judge had a vested interest in keeping her husband happy. Fraud and vehicle tampering don't look good on any one's resume'. So they offered her a deal, and in fear she accepted it. The problem now is she feels like she is a moral failure. One long conversation later and she still feels like she made a mistake. What are you going to do? So tonight shouldn't be that much of a jump to the happiest work environment on earth. The first time that I read the Wal-mart ethics statement, I guffawed. Out loud.Twice. I tried to cover it up with a fake cough and a surreptitious sip of water. It was a close call. Without too much eye-rolling, I managed to get through their mission statement,also. Oh man. At least four outright examples of breaks in the policy danced through my head as I skimmed the pages. One of my personal favorites involves someone who used to work in the dairy department of a supercenter. He took a department that was historically a money loser and turned it around. It was actually showing a profit and then the comanager asked him out. He politely declined. She asked him again, and he jokingly said that if his girlfriend didn't mind, he didn't either. Wrong answer. By the time it became obvious to this horny comanager, he was out of his job. The five years he had spent with the company were gone in a flash. Lucky break for the comanager, though. Turns out the associate she hired to replace that dairy department manager was also able to loan her almost seven hundred dollars. I didn't realize that was the market value for department managers. So if you are looking to advance, just save, save, save. With the right financial pluck, you can have that department manager position.Trust me, you'll thank me later.

No comments: