Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Heyyy Abbott-Walmart stole our routine!!

Try to think of a useless government agency,quickly. I know, I know, just one? If we ever get to vote on one useless agency, my vote goes hands down to child protective services. The child welfare people. I just had an incredible conversation with someone. Here is the gist of it: I have seen a child that has a huge black bruise on their arm and five different stories on how it got there. "Did you witness the bruise being created? No. the child was very hesitant to show me their arm and when they finally did, the child gave me five separate stories on how it could have happened. Did you not like the reasons for the bruise? It wasn't a question of liking the answers, they made no sense. It didn't look like a bite from a sibling, it didn't look like it was caused by a car door, there was no strong line through it like you get with a sharp corner. It doesn't look like it came from a scuffle with another child, it doesn't look like the sort of incidental bruise you get and don't realize that you have. I took pictures of it, do you want to see them? No, we can only look at pictures of bruises that we take ourselves. So what am I supposed to do about this child that may be in danger? We'll have a staff meeting and decide if action needs to be taken. Thank you for your time. Does this seem at all familiar? Hello, store manger, I have a question about my job. Are you supposed to be doing that job right now? Yes, but I don't feel that I have been given the proper training to do this job. Why not? Because the training video I'm supposed to watch so I can finish my cbls is at the home of the department manager and she keeps forgetting to bring it in so that I can watch it. That can't be.Wal-mart doesn't allow non salaried associates to take their work home with them. It must be something else. Okay-but how am I supposed to train for my job without the right materials? I can't give you that answer right now, I'll have an assistant over that area find out why you haven't seen the training video you need to see. Will I still be written up for not completing my cbls on time? I cannot change the policy on that. Everyone is held to personal responsibility for completing their work on time. It would be against our policy to make exceptions. But store manager, I cannot watch the training video if it isn't here, can I?Can I get another copy from another store and watch it? I cannot allow you to ask for the copy yourself, and they can't give it to you. We must get the copy for you to watch. So can you get another copy for me to watch? Each store is given one copy of this training video, you are going to have to watch the one that we were given. At what point does it start to seem like a really lame version of an Abbott and Costello routine? So it begs the question, is the whole world going crazy? Or is Wal-mart logic taking over the world? You'll want to find the answer to that one, trust me, and you'll thank me later.

No comments: