Monday, October 5, 2015

Don't Fly Allegiant Air Whatever You Do

I'm planning a trip soon.  I don't want to have to drive 150 miles to an airport, so I thought I would give Allegiant Air a shot.  My mistake.  After plenty of finagling, I finally found a flight schedule that would work for me.  I'm not too worked up about an extra day away, it is what it is.  I booked the flight. My second mistake.
I din't get a confirmation email straight away, so I called them.  I was told that it could take up to 72 hours to get that.  So then, I waited some more.  The flight information came in, but it was for the wrong month.  So I called. Third mistake.
I was on hold for one hour and thirty eight minutes. I am not exaggerating, I timed them.  I was told that because I didn't cancel/change my flight in the first 24 hours, I would have to pay $75 bucks to change my flight.  I cancelled my flight and was told that I couldn't do that either.  So now, I am sitting on tickets that I cannot transfer, I cannot use and I cannot exchange.
I sent an email to their crappy site, because the only live people they employ are third world folks who cannot input the correct month.  If you need to complain, you better be prepared for an email form. I explain what I just told you all.  Here is the response:



                Thank you for contacting Allegiant Travel. You only have a grace period of 24hours to correct any mistakes; normal terms and conditions will apply.


Effective for travel departures starting October 30, 2013, name changes will not be permitted.

Cancellation Fees and Cut-Off Times:

Credit will not be issued if you fail to cancel an itinerary within the specified timeframe prior to scheduled flight departure.  Your entire fare plus fees for that segment will be forfeited.

Without TripFlexTM:
The following cancellation and change fees apply to itineraries which do not include TripFlexTM.  All fees are per segment. A segment consists of one takeoff and one landing:

-A $75 per segment fee shall apply to airline ticket-only itineraries.  Cancellations and changes must be made at least 168 hours (one week) prior to scheduled departure.
-A $75 per segment fee shall apply to package bookings (hotel, car, show tickets, etc.).  Cancellations and changes must be made at least 7 days prior to scheduled departure.
-You have the option to purchase Trip Flex for a fee between $10-$22 per segment for an air only reservation or $37-$44 for packages after the change fees have been applied once to your reservation in the event that you may need to utilize Trip Flex to modify your reservation again.

Credit is issued minus cancellation, Carrier Usage Charge and booking fees.  

So be forewarned.  They may look like a great price until they add a bazillion "fees" and other price enhancements.  Stick with a legitimate airline.  You'll thank me later.




No comments: